Leaving your child in daycare for the first time can be difficult for both of you. Young kids don’t always understand what’s going on and fear of the unknown can be intense. Unfortunately, without meaning to, parents will often make mistakes on this critical first day that have the effect of making things even worse. In this post we’ll look at some of those mistakes and how to avoid them.
Ensuring an Easy First Day of Daycare
In order to make the transition from home care to daycare in Toronto as painless as possible try to avoid these common first day mistakes.
- Not Leaving Enough Time – Rushing out of the house at the last minute will only turn an already stressful situation into a truly uncomfortable one for everybody. Wake up a little earlier than normal and leave plenty of time to get to the facility at a relaxed pace.
- Dropping and Running – Don’t just drop your child at the door and head to work. Leave enough time so that when you get to the facility you have a few minutes to help him or her get settled in. When it’s time to go however, make sure to avoid a long teary goodbye.
- Seeming Nervous or Distrustful – Kids are remarkably perceptive. If your child detects that you don’t trust the daycare staff that mistrust may rub off on them. Make sure to exchange some pleasant banter with the staff so that your child senses things will be okay after you leave.
- Detaching – Some parents find the experience of leaving their child in daycare for the first time so unpleasant they detach emotionally and go through it in a sort of zombie state that can be confusing to their child. Stay engaged. Your child will be looking to you for cues.
- Micromanaging – Some parents will go in the opposite direction and try to micromanage everything. This can cause uncomfortable interactions with the staff and embarrassment for the kids. Let your child figure some things out on their own. Everyone will be better off for it.
- Letting Nerves Get the Best of You – Parents are human and as humans they sometimes say things when they’re nervous that they later regret. If you’re nervous about leaving your child at daycare for the first time simply acknowledge it and strive to maintain a positive tone. Your child will be the beneficiary of your restraint.
Parents across the GTA have relied on Daycare Consulting Services. They’ve come to trust our process, our daycare providers and our unwavering professionalism. If you’re in the process of looking for daycare in Toronto for your child or children Daycare Consulting Services should be at the top of your list. Call us on 416-494-5898 and schedule an appointment to come by and talk to our childcare professionals. We’ll be happy to answer all your questions so that you can make an informed decision that’s in the best interest of your entire family.